Come, let us follow Jesus.

Only one life, 'Twill soon be past; Only what's done for Christ will last.

Verse of the Day

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thoughts

My mind is kind of racing right now. I needed to get some stuff of my chest.

Just got through reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Awesome read. Pick it up and read it with an open mind. Scripture is running all through that book, and I believe that the points he makes are biblically based. He encourages readers to not only be hearers of the Word but doers as well. To take Christ at His word and actually obey Him by living out His truths in our lives with the help of the Holy Spirit. A quote from the book struck me tonight: "We never grow closer to God when we just live life; it takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness." We can't just waste our life away by just living our life day by day and not concerning ourself with the things of God. If you are a Christian that's not living your life to the fullest as Jesus promised He would help us do if we follow Him (John 10:10). We so often get sidetracked by the physical world and rarely think of heaven. If we set our hearts and minds on heaven, and store up treasures in heaven instead of this earth then it will be a far more satisfying journey through this life (Matthew 6:20). When I say we I mean me as well! I can get so consumed with this present world and it's troubles and pleasures that heaven seems so far away. We must constantly pursue Jesus for if we stray but for a second we will plunge into the dark waters from whence we came (Matthew 14:22-33). Cling to Jesus my brothers and sisters for He is our only hope. If we place our hope in anything or anyone else we will quickly lose our way. He is the only source of true love. If the Holy Spirit runs in and through us we wll be able to love God and love others as Jesus commanded us to (Matthew 22:34-40).

What does it mean to love God? I don't want to go into details but ask yourself. Does my life and what I'm doing with it show that I love God? Stop what you're doing for a minute. Think about that question, and answer it truthfully in your mind.

Now what does it mean to love others? To love your neighbor as yourself. To bless those that persecute you. To do good to those that hurt you. That's crazy talk! That's not fair! That's the love of God. For what did Christ do for you and me? Even though we were enemies He still loved us and even died for us. So if we call ourselve disciples of Christ should we not do the same?

I know all this is heavy, but just remember that it's not about you. It's all for the glory and honor of our great God! Pray that He will give you the desire to pursue Him, then do it!

No comments: